About the Downtown Denton Main Street Program
Downtown Denton has been a designated Maryland Main Street since 1999.
Main Street Maryland is a comprehensive downtown revitalization program created in 1998 by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD). The program strives to strengthen the economic potential of Maryland’s traditional main streets and neighborhoods. Using a competitive process, Main Street Maryland selects communities who have made a commitment to succeed and helps them improve the economy, appearance and image of their traditional downtown business districts.
To accomplish Main Street goals, DHCD has partnered with the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s National Main Street Center which developed the Main Street Four-Point Approach to downtown revitalization. This approach focuses on promotions, organization, economic development and design. Since 1980, the national program has been implemented in 41 states and more than 1,700 communities nationwide.
Downtown Denton Main Street’s mission is to bring together all segments of the community to foster civic pride, promote economic vitality, and preserve and develop the cultural and historic resources of downtown Denton.
DDMS Guiding Principles:
- Comprehensive: Simultaneous, comprehensive strategy focusing on all aspects (Design, Promotion, Economic Restructuring and a Organization).
- Incremental: Start with basic, simple activities and build up to the more complex, ambitious projects.
- Self-Help: Mobilize local investment of time and money to benefit the community.
- Partnerships: Both private and public sectors have a vital interest in the commercial district.
- Assets: Capitalize on unique assets to give people a sense of belonging and pride.
- Quality: A high-standard must be set for every aspect of the commercial district.
- Change: Bring about essential change in attitude and practice to improve downtown’s use, purpose, and future.
- Implementation: Make a difference TODAY by creating visible change and activity NOW.
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors has the ultimate responsibility and accountability for the Downtown Denton Main Street program. Their objectives include educating, building consensus, stimulating the downtown economy through action, focusing activity on the downtown district and maximizing volunteer participation. The proper review of program plans, budget review, and the monitoring & evaluation of program effectiveness are board tasks. The board must always represent the larger view of why downtown revitalization is crucial for the entire community. A comprehensive understanding of the Main Street revitalization principles; community acceptance and involvement; private-sector commitment; and ongoing private-sector initiative are what the board should advocate.
Interested in serving on the Board of Directors for Downtown Denton Main Street? Contact Us
Current Board Members
|Vice President||Patti Wood|
|CEDC Liason||Angela Visintainer|
|Tourism Liason||Kathy Mackel|