Implementing the Four Point Approach
The Main Street program is a community driven, comprehensive, four-point approach used to revitalize downtown and neighborhood business districts throughout the United States. Committees are the backbone of a successful Main Street program. A phenomenal amount of activity must be carefully coordinated if a commercial district revitalization program is to achieve its goals. The following committees are the vehicles through which the Downtown Denton Main Street Board of Directors follows the nationally proven Main Street Four-Point Approach:
Organization Committee: gets everyone working toward the same goal and assembling the human and financial resources needed to implement a Main Street revitalization program. This is the administrative committee, making sure everything proceeds on schedule.
- promotes the program to the public; recruits and rewards volunteers
- develops fundraising plans, gathers funds from key supporters
- establishes relationships with other entities: city government, civic organizations, etc.
- Go-getters and “admin types,” this is your group!
Promotion Committee: markets the district’s unique assets to bring people downtown. Sells a positive image of the commercial district and encourages consumers and investors to live, work, shop, play and invest in the Downtown Denton Main Street district.
- The party-planning people
- creates a positive image through advertising, retail promotional activity, and special events carried out by local volunteers
- these activities improve consumer and investor confidence in the district and encourage commercial activity and investment in the area
Design Committee: this committee works to get Downtown Denton Main Street into top physical shape. Historic preservation is key.
- Artists, architecture buffs and preservationists welcome here!
- creates an inviting atmosphere through attractive window displays, parking areas, building improvements, and streetscaping
- instills good maintenance practices in the commercial district, and encourages appropriate new construction, developing sensitive design management systems and long-term planning
Economic Restructuring Committee: improves the downtown’s economic base by assisting and recruiting businesses.
- Bean counters and idea people–we need you!
- aims to strengthen existing businesses and welcome new ones to our downtown
- conducts and analyzes marketing surveys to determine what businesses the town wants and needs
- works to convert unused or underused commercial space into economically productive property also helps boost the profitability of the district